Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Album Review: My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

I became a fan of My Morning Jacket after listening to "Z" on a long car ride. There were so many different layers of sounds and catchy melodies on the album. It kept me thoroughly entertained the whole 45+ minutes.

With great expectations I looked forward to their release of "Evil Urges" in June. To sum it up I was disappointed. After the first listen I hoped that I had missed something. I listened to it several times but always with the same result - a desire to go back to "Z."

It's not a bad album. But it simply isn't up to par with previous albums. The band continues to be skilled at layering ambient/spacey effects with a rock/country sound. But where are the catchy melodies? Where is the emotion?

With the exception of the opening to the title track "Evil Urges" I was never hooked. That is not to say there is just something there I'm missing that longtime fans of the band get.





No comments: