Thursday, August 21, 2008

Album Review: Toadies - No Deliverance

The release of the Toadies new album "No Deliverance" came as a shock to many. The band hit rock bottom after their major release "Rubberneck" due to label disputes with their second album and eventually disbanded after a dismal reception to their 2001 album "Hell Below/Stars Above." The primary reason for the breakup according to front man Todd Lewis was Lisa Umbarger, the Toadies bass player, no longer wanting to play.

After several reunion tours without Umbarger the Toadies headed back to the studio and released "No Deliverance" on Kirtland Records on August 19th, 2008. Texas faithful have raved about this record saying it is a return to the roots that made "Rubberneck" such a success. Since I am a Texas native, I felt I needed to speak up.

This album sucks!

While the production of the album sounds very similar, the album is void of any hit song. Subtract all of the successful melodies from Rubberneck's hits "Possum Kingdom" "Away" and "Tyler" and you have "No Deliverance." Basically, this is a collection of rough songs with no substance.

It may be hard for some to admit but the Toadies simply have been unable to overcome the sophomore hump. They could not come close to duplicating the sound of their first major release "Rubberneck" that made them so successful.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have to disagree. I think the Toadies album is great. Maybe it wont be as succesful as rubberneck but it doesn't suck.

Unknown said...

Really? You think it's great?

Wow.

I remember my brother and I making fun of "Possume Kingdom" when we were teengagers because it was shitty even back then.

I don't think the Toadies have ever actually been good...or even listenable.