Monday, October 06, 2008

Album Review: Mercury Rev - Snowflake Midnight

I regretably admit (risking that my indie music lover card may be pulled) this is the first Mercury Rev album I have listened to. They have simply gone under my radar. I have seen the name, thinking it was pretty cool, but I was never motivated to actually check them out.

Mercury Rev combines peppy yet ambient music with spacey samples in their latest release Snowflake Midnight. The voice of Jonathan Donahue is very similar to Tim DeLaughter of Tripping Daisy and Polyphonic Spree. Some may disagree with that comparison but I seriously had flash backs to the many Daisy shows I went to. This voice combined with the trance-like music makes a good match (in my opinion of course).

Overall this album was enjoyable. It is music that you can lose yourself in. It can become a muse for deep thinking. It is experimental and from the other reviews I have read it is a new frontier for the band. Some have found this unpleasing when comparing this album to their body of work -

Mercury Rev has officially lost me. I found no enjoyment in listening to Snowflake Midnight and couldn't help but feel that the band has been transformed from cutting edge Alternative Rock into a New Age enigmas. -Dennis Scanland on Music Emmisions

For me, Snowflake Midnight has peaked my curiosity in Mercury Rev, even if it isn't a good representation of their other albums.

Other Reviews:

If you have a review of this album please let me know at captainmelody@gmail.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You make a good point. Sometimes when a band has a significant back catalogue it can be very difficult to judge a new release on its own merits alone.